Skip to main content
Photo by Tanja Pigott


Is a Permit Required?

A Floodplain Development Permit shall be required in conformance with the City's Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance (FDPO) prior to the commencement of ANY development activities within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). To see if your proposed project is located in the SFHA, visit

If it has been determined that the proposed project will be located in any portion of the SFHA, a Floodplain Development Permit Application shall be submitted to the Floodplain Administrator, along with any additional required documentation. Should you have questions, or require assistance, please contact the Floodplain Administrator, or check the Flood Resource page for educational materials and links to important information.

Post-Florence Permit Procedures for Retrieval of Lost Sediment and Bulkheads

Permits from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers may be required for projects located within the SFHA, in addition to a Floodplain Development Permit. Please contact the Floodplain Administrator to discuss the project in detail, to determine the process to be followed for your particular project.

In general, bulkheads that were damaged during hurricane Florence, that will be rebuilt, or repaired to the same dimensions, and in the same location as originally permitted and constructed, can be repaired using the non-reporting Nationwide Permit (NWP) 3, assuming compliance with the conditions. Please contact the Floodplain Administrator to determine whether or not your project will fall under this NWP permit, and to submit a Floodplain Development Permit Application.

For the retrieval of lost sediment, coordination between the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Floodplain Administrator is required. Please click here to view the permit procedures for this type of project.

Forms & Applications

Floodplain Development Permit Application

Pre-Construction Notification (PCN) Form (USACE)

Request for Approval - Excavation & Repair