JOB TITLE: Recreation Program Assistant CS/22
DEPARTMENT: Boiling Spring Lakes Parks & Recreation
PAY GRADE: Grade 11
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for assisting in adult, youth, or special event programs as assigned in the direction of the department.
- Assisting in the operation of recreation programs, activities, and facilities
- Supervises adult and/or youth programs, including, but not limited to, senior adults, fitness, before and after school care, and school break camps.
- Assists in organizing and supervision of field trips and special events.
- Transports program participants – youth, adults, and seniors – for scheduled programs and events.
- Performs daily cleaning of the recreation facilities and minor maintenance duties as needed.
- Responds to inquiries and resolves complaints from program participants and the general public.
- Requests supplies, materials, and equipment as needed; monitors inventory and notifies supervisor as needed.
- Performs any office or administrative duties associated with the responsibilities of the position.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of recreation principles and practices.
- Knowledge of city departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of first-aid and CPR techniques. Certification required within 180 days of employment.
- Knowledge of the maintenance and upkeep of recreational facilities, parks, playgrounds, trails, and vehicles.
- Skill in coordinating large groups of people in order successfully run a program or event
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in operating general office equipment, including computer and computer software required for the duties of the position.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in driving multi-passenger vehicles – vans and busses. CDL license not required but preferred.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Director assigns work in terms of general instructions and spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include City of Boiling Spring Lakes Ordinances and Regulations, North Carolina Recreation and Parks Association guidelines, the rules and regulations of various sports, safety regulations, and department rules and regulations. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied duties in conducting adult and youth recreation programs. Inclement weather and the variety of programs offered contribute to the complexity of the work.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to provide adult and youth programs to the general public. Successful performance contributes to the quality of community life and to the effective and efficient administration of the department and its programs.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, parents, program participants, personnel of other recreation departments, maintenance personnel, health agencies, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems, motivate personnel, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching, walking, or running. The employee must frequently lift light and heavy objects, climb ladders, use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and be able to distinguish between shades of color.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is performed in an office, gymnasium, community center, or outdoors at parks & playgrounds. The employee may be exposed to contagious or infectious disease, irritating chemicals, and cold or inclement weather. The work may require the use of protective gear, including masks, gloves, goggles, and the like.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position exercises direct or functional supervision over assigned department part-time employees when they are the acting as the assigned program supervisor.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of post-secondary studies, however, knowledge can be obtained through practical experience working in a similar position.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of working in a similar position.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to operate 15 passenger vans or small bus to transport program participants safely.
- Possession of CDL driver’s license and experience with full size bus operations.
- Ability to creatively approach programming needs of the department.
EXPECTED WORK SCHEDULE:
- Monday – Friday 1:30 pm – 10:00 pm
- Occasional weekend requirements