Nuisance Code Enforcement Officer I
General Statement of Duties
The purpose of this position is to perform inspections of new and existing buildings in the enforcement of the City’s minimum housing code and nuisance ordinances. Successful performance ensures compliance with applicable codes. The work consists of varied inspection duties. Frequently changing statutes contribute to the complexity of the position.
Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Inspects buildings for compliance with minimum housing rules and regulations
- Receives complaints and investigates concerns for nuisance issues such as junk cars, tall grass, and minimum housing code violations
- Visits sites and follows up with property owners and tenants to alleviate problems.
- Maintains records, files, and daily schedules.
- Attends inspection and department staff meetings.
- Attends educational courses and seminars to maintain required certifications.
- Educates the public on City ordinances and state statutes.
- Engages in conversations by telephone and in person to assist property owners with mitigation strategies.
- Provides evidence and testifies at hearings and in court as needed.
- Determines habitability of dwellings and investigates abandoned buildings for determination of repairability.
- Posts Unsafe Building or Condemned notices as required by ordinance and statute.
- Schedules hearings for condemned buildings
- Issues warnings, official notices, stop work orders and citations as necessary to obtain compliance with appropriate codes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Recruitment and Selection Guidelines
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of department and city policies and procedures and federal, state, and local codes, laws and regulations.
- Skill in performing inspections of existing homes and commercial buildings.
- Skill in collaborative conflict resolution, internal and external customer service, teamwork and persuasion techniques.
- Skill in the condemnation/demolition process of residential and nonresidential buildings.
- Skill in the operation of computers and other standard office equipment.
- Skill in planning, organization, and decision-making.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to interpret and enforce state statutes, rules, and regulations tactfully, courteously, firmly and consistently.
- Ability to work effectively with contractors, property owners, other employees and the general public
- Ability to prepare factual reports and present same to appropriate boards or commissions.
- Ability to successful complete the NC Law & Administration Course within six (6) months.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- Work is typically performed outdoors and occasionally in cold or inclement weather. Some work is performed in an office while sitting at a desk or table, or while intermittently sitting, standing or walking.
- The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
- The employee occasionally lifts light objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must distinguish between shades of color.
Desirable Education and Experience
- Graduation from a community college or technical college with a degree in a related field and experience in building construction, skilled trades or related area; or equivalent combination of educational experience.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Experience sufficient to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of North Carolina for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Officer, Susan Hartman, at email@example.com. Please include the words Nuisance Code Enforcement Officer I in the subject line of submittal. Position is open until filled.
Code Enforcement Officer I – Grade 17
Salary: $40,589.00 - $60,884.00 Annually - DOQ