In compliance with mandatory requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the City of Boiling Spring Lakes adopted the amended Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance. It is the purpose of the ordinance to promote public health, safety, and general welfare, and to minimize public and private losses due to flood conditions within flood prone areas by provisions that are designed to:
- Restrict, or prohibit uses that are dangerous to health, safety, and property, due to water, or erosion hazards, or that result in damaging increases in erosion, flood heights, or velocities;
- Require that uses vulnerable to floods, including facilities that serve such uses, be protected against flood damage at the time of initial construction;
- Control the alteration of natural floodplains, stream channels, and natural protective barriers, which are involved in the accommodation of floodwaters;
- Control filling, grading, dredging, and all other development that may increase erosion or flood damage;
- Prevent, or regulate, the construction of flood barriers that will unnaturally divert flood waters, or which may increase flood hazards to other lands.
Click here to view the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.